The principals of Covian Consulting have presented research conducted with community partners at following conferences:
- LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS
(Miami, FL, 2000; San Juan, Puerto Rico 2006; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2009)
- WORLD CONGRESS ON COMMUNICATION FOR DEVELOPMENT
(Rome, Italy, 2006)
- INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION
(Dresden, Germany, 2006)
- INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC RELATIONS RESEARCH CONFERENCE
(Miami, FL, USA, 2005-2007)
- WORLD CONFERENCE ON INJURY PREVENTION & SAFETY PROMOTION
(Montreal, Canada 2002 and Vienna, Austria 2004)
- DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES- ANNUAL -MEETINGS OF HEALTHY MARRIAGE AND RESPONSIBLE FATHERHOOD GRANTEES
(Washington, DC 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011)
- ASSOCIATION FOR RESEARCH ON NON PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS AND VOLUNTARY ACTION
(Washington DC, 2010)
- THE FLORIDA EDUCATION FUND
- ASSOCIATION FOR EDUCATION IN JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION
(Chicago, IL 2008; Boston, MA 2009)
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE
(Miami, FL 2009)
- GLOBAL HEALTH AND INNOVATION SUMMIT AT YALE UNIVERSITY
(New Haven, CT 2009)
- FIFTH ANNUAL HEALTH AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS RESEARCH CONFERENCE, AT UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA
(Orlando, FL 2008)
- SECOND ANNUAL PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE AT UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA
(Orlando, Fl 2008)
- AMERICAN PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING
(Boston, MA, 2000; Washington DC, 2007)
- 2OTH ANNUAL RESEARCH CONFERENCE: A SYSTEM OF CARE
(Tampa, FL 2007)
- NATIONAL COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE
(Chicago, IL 2004; Boston, MA 2005)
- INTERDISCIPLINARY COLLOQUIUM ON HISPANIC/LATIN AMERICAN LITERATURES, LINGUISTICS AND CULTURES
(Gainesville, FL 2005)
- INTERNATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, SEXUAL ASSAULT AND STALKING CONFERENCE
(San Diego, CA 2005 and 2007)
- KENTUCKY CONFERENCE ON HEALTH COMMUNICATION
(Lexinton, KY, 2006)
- BUILDING BRIDGES CONFERENCE SERIES BY AAHP/HIAA, AGENCY FOR HEALTH CARE RESEARCH AND QUALITY AND CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION
(Miami, FL, 2004)
- COMMUNITY-CAMPUS PARTNERSHIPS FOR HEALTH (CCPH) ANNUAL CONFERENCE
(Miami, FL, 2002)
- SAFEUSA: LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE TO REDUCE VIOLENCE AND INJURY IN AMERICA
(Atlanta, GA 2001)
- Villar, ME & Concha, M. (2010). Sex Education and Cultural Values: Experiences and Attitudes of Latina Immigrant Women. Sex Education. (accepted for publication)
- Villar, ME & Concha, M. (2010). Health Beliefs and Attitudes of Latino Immigrants: Rethinking Acculturation as a Constant. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. (under review).
- Villar, M.E. (2007). Las TICS en el mapa geopolítico actual (ICTs in the current geopolitical map. Cuadernos de Comunicación, 1(2), 24-26. (A Journal of the Pontificia Universidad Católica, Dominican Republic. ISSN 1992-6)
- Wang, C., Villar, M.E., Mulligan, D.A., & Hansen, T. (2005) Cost and Utilization Analysis of A Pediatric Emergency Department Diversion Project, PEDIATRICS, 116: 1075 - 1079.
- Schaechter, J., Duran, I., De Marchena, J. Lemard, G., & Villar, M.E. (2003) Are "Accidental" Gun Deaths as Rare as They Seem? A Comparison of Medical Examiner Manner of Death Coding with an Intent Based Classification. PEDIATRICS, 111 (4): 741-744
- Meinking, T.L., Clineschmidt, C.M., Chen, C., Kolber, M.A., Tipping, R.W., Furtek, C.I., Villar, M.E., & Guzzo, C.A. (2002). An observer-blinded study of 1% permethrin creme rinse with and without adjunctive combing in patients with head lice. Journal of Pediatrics, 141(5):665-670.
- Meinking TL, Serrano L, Hard B, Entzel P, Lemard G, Rivera E, & Villar ME. (2002). Comparative in vitro pediculicidal efficacy of treatments in a resistant head lice population in the United States. Archives of Dermatolology, 138(2):220-224.
- Meinking, T.L., Entzel, P., Villar, M.E., Vicaria, M., Lemard, G.A., & Porcelain, S,L. (2001) Comparative efficacy of treatments for pediculosis capitis infestations: update 2000. Archives of Dermatology, 2001 Mar;137(3):287-92.
- Concha, M., Villar, M.E., Duresky, D., & Diaz, M. (2007). An applied cultural competence assessment in a system of care. In 20th Annual Conference Proceedings - A System of Care for Children's Mental Health: Expanding the Research Base. Chapter 2: Implementing and Evaluating Evidence-based Practices.
- Concha, M et al (2007).Establishing Best Practices: Assessment of Communication and Participation within a Community Partnership to Support Community Health Workers in The Communication Initiative, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the World Bank. World Congress on Communication for Development: Lessons, Challenges, and the Way Forward. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data.
- Villar M.E. (2006). Diffusing Messages of Justice and Prosperity in a Culturally and Politically Diverse Community: Imagine Miami Case Study. Proceedings of the 9th International Public Relations Conference (www.instituteforpr.com) Gainesville, FL: Institute for Public Relations.
- Villar M.E. & Doldren, M. (2005) Using Public Relations to improve social service programs. Proceedings of the 89th International Public Relations Conference (www.instituteforpr.com) Gainesville, FL: Institute for Public Relations.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Villar, M.E., & Farber, L. (in press). The Role of Mass Media on Infectious Disease Perceptions and Policies. In S. Porcelain (Ed.), US Foreign Policy and Global Public Health: The Nexus of Infectious Disease.
- Villar, M.E., Orrego-Dunleavy, V., & Farr, J. (2009) Communication Factors in Batterer Intervention Programs: Creating and Measuring Attitude Change. Book chapter in Cahn (Ed.) Family Violence from a Communication Perspective. 2nd Edition. New Paltz: SUNY Press
SELECTED CONFERENCE PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- HIV-AIDS prevention among Latino behavioral health clients: Beyond the Comadres-Compadres Model presented at the C-SALUD Bi-annual conference, Substance Abuse & HIV/AIDS in Latinos: Linking Research with the Community, April 27, 2011, North Miami, FL.
- Engaging LGBTQ youth in Behavioral Health Services presented by Maria Elena Villar at Reaching Out conference, Miami Dade College, April 6, 2011.
- Comparing Frequency of Online News Coverage, Worldwide Mortality and Perceived Risk of Leading Diseases and Injuries: Challenging Paradigms in the New Media Landscape presented by Maria Elena Villar at the National Conference on Health Communication, Marketing, and Media, August 17-19, 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- TV and Internet Usage Among African-Americans and Their Effects on Material Values and Socialization Processes. presented by David J. Park, Maria Elena Villar, & Jorge Amador to the Communication and Technology Division for the 2010 annual conference of the International Communication Association, June 22-26, 2010, Singapore.
- Cultural Needs and Attitudes of Diverse U.S. Latino Populations on Two Health Issues: Implications for Mass Media and Public Policy presented by Maria Elena Villar & Maritza Concha at Latin American Studies Association (LASA), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 9th, 2009.
- Evaluating Stakeholder Inclusion and Participation in a Community Health Partnership presented by Maria Elena Villar & Maritza Concha at the 10th International Public Relations Conference, March 8-11, 2007, Miami, FL.
- A Frame for Health: A Comparison of English and Spanish News Stories and Ads. Yvette Bueno & Maria Elena Villar. International Communication Association, June 19-23, 2006. Dresden, Germany.
- Communication Factors in Batterer Intervention Programs: Creating and measuring Attitude Change presented at the Kentucky Conference on Health Communication. April 20, 2006, Lexinton, KY.
- Health... Salud... Does Language make a Difference? Yvette Bueno and Maria Elena Villar. Latin American Studies Association Annual Conference. March 15-18, 2006. San Juan, PR.
- Measuring Attitudes that Contribute to Intimate Partner Violence: Rationale for the Development of an Attitudinal Scale for Men in Batterer Intervention Programs. Maria Elena Villar. Presented at the National Communication Association Annual (NCA) Conference, November 18, 2005. Boston, MA.
- Attitudes Towards Rape and Sexual Assault in an Adult Farmworker Population: Impact of Acculturation. Villar, M.E., presented as part of Seminar in Interdisciplinary Communication Scholarship in HIV, STDs and Sexual Behavior, National Communication Association (NCA) Convention, Chicago, IL, November 10, 2004.
- Shifting paradigms in evaluating domestic violence interventions. Villar ME, Aaron S, Torres S, presented at 6th World Conference on Injury Prevention & Control, Montreal, Canada, May 2002.
- Developing Health Education Interventions for Children after Disasters: Case study of Hurricane Mitch in Central America. Villar ME, Castillo C. Latin American Studies Association (LASA) Conference, Miami, FL, March 18, 2000.
- The Role of Culture in Attitudes towards Rape and Sexual Assault and the implications for research and intervention design: a Study of Farmworker Women. Villar ME, Neunzig M., presented at Eastern Migrant Stream Forum Annual Conference, Miami, FL, November 19, 1999.
- Attitudes and Beliefs towards Domestic Violence in a Tri-ethnic Community: Results of Focus Groups with South Dade Farmworkers presented by Maria Elena Villar at Building Community Coalitions Against Domestic Violence conference in Florida City, FL, August 17, 1997.
- Knowledge, Attitudes and Beliefs about Drug Use and HIV among Latino Behavioral Health Clients in Miami. Rhonda Bohs, Ph.D., Emy Lou Pesantes, M.S.W., and Maria Elena Villar, Ph.D., Presented at the Ninth Annual Conference of the National Hispanic Science Network On Drug Abuse, Miami, FL, October 30, 2009.
- Health and Development Communication: Integrating new technologies and interpersonal encounters to address health issues in communities. Presented by Maria Elena Villar , Glendene Lemard & Jesus Arroyave . Presented at Global Health and Innovation Summit at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, on April 18, 2009.
- Participatory Communication, community health and social change - The story of a community health workers initiative in Miami. Presented at the American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting, November 5, 2007, Washington, DC.
- Cultural Competence In Voluntary Groups For Men And Women At Risk For Violence In Their Intimate Relationships. Presented by Maria Elena Villar, Sherri Aaron, Pablo Lorenzo & Maritza COncha at the 7th World Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion in Vienna, Austria, June 6th-9th, 2004.
- Multiple Approach Training Model for First Responders in Suicide Prevention. Deborah Mulligan-Smith, MD, Toran Hansen, MS, Maria Elena Villar, MPH, Maritza Concha, MA, Cheng Wang, MS. Presented at the Building Bridges Conference by AAHP/HIAA, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Miami, FL. April 1-2, 2004.
- Mental Health and Suicide Prevention: Within the Scope of Pediatricians Practice, Deborah Mulligan Smith, G. Costa, Maria Elena Villar. Presented at American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2003.
- Evolution of a Coalition: Stages of Development of Coalition NOT ONE MORE, Maria Elena Villar, Pauline Anderson, Gayane Stepanian, Judy Schaechter, at Safety in Numbers: Working Together from Research to Practice, National Injury Prevention Conference, Atlanta, GA, April 2003.
- The PARTNERSHIP for the Study and Prevention of Violence: bridging research, education and community involvement. presented by Maria Elena Villar at Community-Campus Partnerships for Health (CCPH) Annual Conference, Miami, FL May 2002.
- Gun Buy-backs/Gunlock Giveaways, J. Schaechter, M.E. Villar, E. Erdman E, S.P. Torres . American Public Health Association (APHA) annual meeting, Atlanta, GA October, 2001.
- Youth gun death in Miami-Dade County before and after the Florida CAP law, Judy Schaechter and Maria Elena Villar, presented at SafeUSA: Leadership Conference to Reduce Violence and Injury in America, Atlanta, GA, December 2001.
- Partnerships in disaster recovery: Case study of Honduras Sherri L. Porcelain, Jose Marie Dubon, Maria Elena Villar, Ada Rivera, Carlos J. Castillo, Joe DiCarlo, Arba Ager, Terri L. Meinking, Susana Venegas, APHA Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 12-16, 2000.